I feel as if this semester has already kicked into high gear and it is only week 2! I admittedly feed off the craziness of being extremely busy though! I had all the free time in the world over the summer and I hated it! That's probably another reason why the teaching profession feels like the prefect fit for me. It really does not allow for free time and there is ALWAYS something to be done!
This week I planned my SS lesson off of the standard assigned to me by Clarker. It was my first time ever planning a Kindergarten lesson so I kept finding myself planning things and then going back and thinking- that's too hard, you have to break it down more. It was a process, but it was a learning process. I have to tell you that I got the standard and saw the word "friendship" and thought that it would be pretty easy. I automatically began thinking about activities that I could use to teach friendship but then I heard an all too familiar phrase in my head. "Are you focusing on the big ideas?" That phrase is forever emblazoned in my brain probably for the rest of my existence thanks to Dr. Parker. This was one of my biggest takeaways from EDU 250 so I unpacked the standard and found an even bigger idea to shift my focus too in the lesson. I am still not totally confident in planning for Kindergarten instruction but I am becoming more and more familiar with the Kindergarten standard in the NCSCOS.
My CE helped me think through my first Kindergarten lesson and assured me she was there to assist me in any way possible and that made me feel so good. She is so reassuring and seems really confident about my ideas so that makes me feel good. I really could not ask for a better fit for me, she is the CE I prayed for. I met my Kindergartners when they all came in at the same time yesterday. I was nervous and they were nervous but it was not long before I felt at home with jumping in and helping my CE while also being able to watch all of the ways in which she reinforces her classroom procedures. All I can say about the beginning days of Kindergarten is WOW. Some of those students have never been in a classroom and it was a true eye-opener for me to see how far they have to go. I am excited to be on that journey with them though. We are going to grow by leaps and bounds together.
The NCPTS standard that I really feel like I worked on developing this week was; teachers provide an environment in which each child has a
positive, nurturing relationship with caring adults. Never have I ever had students that come in crying. Kindergarten in the first couple of days is full of tears though which I learned this week. Some have never left their moms. I watched my CE to see how she handled it and then I got down on their level and comforted them just as she did. My heart hurt to see them sad but I honestly think it will be much better even by next week. It was good for me to get to see this part of the teaching profession though. Sometimes, we are their nurturers and this helps to form the student teacher bond especially in Kindergarten. I was thankful I was there to experience that.
Good luck this week with the planning and teaching of your SS lesson! I am looking forward to another week of learning and interaction with you all!
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteThose big ideas are crucial. I really believe if the teacher focuses on big ideas, students will be able to make connections that they otherwise may not.
I am glad to see that the relationship with your CE is strong and she is willing to help!
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I love how you mentioned that how the big ideas really do tie the lesson together. Kindergarten?! That is awesome! I am so excited to continue to hear how your experiences are going in your class.
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteI am so encouraged by your open heart to learning all about teaching Kindergarten! I love reading your reflection about which NCTCS Standard you want to grow in, too; I would love to add that to my weekly reflection! Love you, friend!
-Meredith