This has been the absolute best week so far at my clinical placement. It feels like home. Going into this, I never thought I would be able to say that so soon but I feel so comfortable and just like a part of the team and it the feeling I had hoped and prayed I would have going into this. I was able to spend 3 consecutive days with not only my clinical educator but all of the staff at the school this week working the fall fundraiser which just so happens to be a fair that the school puts on for the week. It is big deal in my county and generates a huge profit for the school which goes towards each teacher's classroom fund. I took the time that I was working with the staff (serving food for, I swear, EVERYONE in the county) to develop some more personal relationships. I had lots of conversations with staff I had never met before and even got to serve and speak with some parents that I hadn't met! I went straight after work and it went until about 11 each night so I am super exhausted but super pleased with what I gained from the experience. The principal even pulled me to the side and personally thanked me for my help and told me how impressed he was with me. My CE says that is a really good thing! She and I got to have lots of conversation this week about what is coming up with semester! She is just so flexible and is so willing to work with me with whatever I need- it is a true blessing. I made sure to focus in on what I was missing for LE 4 when I was in the classroom this week and she answered the questions I had on specifics and provided me with some more resources on the school's overall behavior management plan because I felt I was lacking in that area of the assignment.
She and I also talked a lot about mathematics instruction and what she feels the students need the most so that I can really plan for LE 2. In math methods, I am learning so much new terminology and ways of teaching mathematics that I have never been exposed to. My CE gave me specific reasoning behind her methodologies for teaching mathematics and how she addresses the needs of each student. She gave me specific feedback on how I can adjust my lessons to make sure I am meeting the needs of each student! This made me think of the NCPTS- Teachers establish a respectful environment for a diverse population of students. This is a standard I am working hard to be more developed in and I will really be able to have a lot of practice with this in my literacy and math progression because there is a diverse range of needs in my classroom that will need to be met. I am focusing in on being more proficient at determining the needs of each student and then meeting the needs of each student every time I teach! My CE says this is something that I will get better at as I spend more time actually teaching in the classroom.
I hope everyone has had a successful and productive week and I look forward to seeing your updates!
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteI am smiling with you as I read, "It feels like home" in your Clinical Placement! What an awesome feeling!! Also, WAY TO GO on volunteering this week at your school! You are a gift to your community, sweet friend. I would love to hear more about how your CE teaches math and seeks to meet each student's needs. I need to grow in my Math planning and instruction skills! I loved reading your update. Thank you so much for sharing, and for being so encouraging!
-Meredith
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteI am SO GLAD to see how you have embraced the importance of building relationships in your clinical placement. THIS IS CRUCIAL!!! Thank you for investing in this important aspect of teaching. This will pay dividends for you.
Keep on making those important connections between the classes you are taking and your clinical placement. This is what it is all about!