Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Week 2 and I things are already going full speed ahead! I talked with the teacher that I work with at the school that I am employed at and we set up days and times that I can leave and go to my clinical classroom which is a relief for me! I was super worried but I think we have it worked out! Now, I just have to nail down those dates with my clinical teacher and make sure that works for her and I am just waiting on an e-mail back from her. I am very excited to become a part of a new classroom and to get to know her and the students. Every classroom I have worked in has been like a whole new world. It really is AMAZING how different teachers just have totally different ways of doing things and completely different outlooks on education. At this point in my educational experience, I basically consider myself to be like a sponge. I take in everything that we are learning, I observe every second I can, I listen to what all of the teachers around me are saying, and I analyze what I think works best based on what I am seeing, hearing, and learning. I take it all in because I want to have as many learning experiences as I can so that I can take what I have and make teaching my own craft based on what I have learned. So, I am anxious to get started and gain all that I can from my classroom teacher!

I am also working on my language arts lesson for this class and I have this standard- Describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges. This is for second grade and I am actually excited about this standard! I think it is important for students to learn and there are a lot of different directions I could go with this standard so I am unpacking it and using the NCSCOS to guide me in my planning. This week, as I work heavily on lesson planning, I am putting extra focus on my skills in the teaching standard- Teachers know the content they teach. When developing these lessons, I realize that the depth of my content knowledge has a direct impact on how effective my lessons are going to be. The more I know, the more I can teach. So, I am placing an importance on continuing to use my content knowledge to allow my students to make a connection with the lesson that they are going to carry with them and across all content areas! I want to- as Parker stated- plan my most meaningful and dynamic lessons yet and I am working hard to get there! I want to make myself, Parker, my students, and my classroom teacher proud! I hope all is well with you all this week! Let me know how your lesson plans are going and what some of your ideas are!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Skylar, I am glad things are coming together for you! I completely agree with you on how so many teachers are different and how it shows in their classroom. There are three second grade classes at my school, my CT is old school and that defiantly shows in her class. One of the other teachers is very 21st century she lets the students call her by her first name which is something my CT would NEVER do. The last teacher is kind of a mixture of both so all our classrooms are very different. I am glad you are excited about your ELA lesson. I am still getting to the excited point. I have so much I have to do it is hard for me to get excited about anything! Good luck with your lesson! I am looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skylar,

    I am so excited for you to get the hours you need to observe your new class. I think that you are absolutely right. Every classroom is extremely different, and I think that's mainly because people are different. There are never going to be two classrooms that are exactly alike, but that's the best part of getting a new CT every semester in the past. Learning as much as we can from every new teacher is the best thing that we can do for ourselves. I hope that you get the hours that you need, and I hope your lesson went well. I'm sad that I didn't get to see it, but hopefully next time :). See you tomorrow girl!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skylar,

    This section of the blog post speaks volumes: "At this point in my educational experience, I basically consider myself to be like a sponge. I take in everything that we are learning, I observe every second I can, I listen to what all of the teachers around me are saying, and I analyze what I think works best based on what I am seeing, hearing, and learning. I take it all in because I want to have as many learning experiences as I can so that I can take what I have and make teaching my own craft based on what I have learned." THIS IS AWESOME! Can you help every teacher candidate see the importance of this?

    I am glad to see you have worked out the scheduling issues and you can spend time in your clinical placement.

    Make this the best semester yet!

    ReplyDelete