We are officially into October and things are starting to feel serious for me! I am finding myself constantly thinking about what is due when and what I need to do first and it seems things just keep popping up. However, I feel that I am pouring so much of my heart and soul into these assignments and every time I turn something in, it feels like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. This semester has challenged me in new ways and I feel like all of the assignments we are doing are long-term and require so much more thought and effort then they ever have before. I like this though because I feel much more accomplished this semester than I ever have. It is going to be so fulfilling to achieve all of my goals this semester and to see my effort pay off once all of these projects are complete and submitted. The stress is worth it guys, I promise we are growing as educators. Think about how far we have already come since the beginning of this semester!
This week I am thankful that we don't have that much due so we have some time to spend on our units. I feel pretty confident about my performance task and now I am breaking that down to develop my learning activities. I can see this unit literally coming together and each part fitting like a puzzle. Now, each part makes sense to me and I can see the purpose that each part plays in the whole picture which is a good feeling. My biggest thing right now is figuring out how to make sure I cover each standard that I want to from the NCSCOS in my unit. I am focusing on the NCPTS: "Teachers Know the Content They Teach," this week. I am spending time exploring the content in my unit and making sure I have a solid understanding so that I could teach the content in-depth. Upon focusing on this standard, I have come to realize how important it is that I be an expert on the content that I teach. In order to help students make connections within the content areas and to be able to help them make connections to their lives, I have to have a deep understanding of the content. So, I am definitely working on my content knowledge because I want to be the best educator I can be. This will be a continuous process through out my career and I feel like my content knowledge will continue to grow over the years.
I hope everyone has a stress free week and if you start to feel overwhelmed just remember how close we are to the end goal! We are so fortunate to be able to pursue our passion and I feel lucky to pursue mine with all of you! Have a great week!
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteWow! Thanks for sharing such genuine encouragement with us this week. I have been out sick all week (not able to do much at all), so hearing your enthusiasm about our units/assignments/things to do is so uplifting. You are growing so much as a teacher, and it makes me want to grow more, too! Your blog posts are always honest and informative, which are two characteristics of an awesome teacher.
I am looking forward to spending some time on my unit this weekend, too. I love your idea about focusing on a different NCPTS standard each week, to guide your concept-based unit planning. I may just have to follow your lead!
Have an awesome weekend, girl. Thanks for such a great post! Keep up the great work. :)
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you on the content that we have to know to teach our units. It is so important that we as teachers are able to explore the content of a subject so that we can answer the questions that our students might ask. A teacher's work is never done!
I'm glad that this semester is going well for you. I feel like I am accomplishing more this semester too! Like you said the assignments are heavier but they are also more meaningful and I believe that because of that we are learning so much more. I for one am so glad that we have yet to watch a video on how to teach something in this class. I never gained much from that. Learning by doing is the best way that I learn and this class has been the perfect catalyst for it.
Have a great weekend!
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteEvery time I read your posts, I find myself leaving feeling better than before. You seem to encourage me and help me realize that no matter how much stress there is, we can do it and it will all be worth it.
I can see the end and it makes me want it more. You are so right that once we finish these big projects we will see that it was all worth it. There is nothing that I love better than finishing a big project. I will continue working on my unit as well. Good luck!
Sam
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your perspectives on your learning experiences this week. Continue to keep the mindset of "long-term" front and center. This is actually the best self-check measure you can have. Visualizing your lesson plans and your unit in a classroom will help you make your work great. I am also glad to see the intentional connection between your work this week and the NCTCS!