Thursday, October 8, 2015


What a BUSY week! This week, I am diligently working on the flipped component of my lesson plan as well as the self-assessment rubric for this component. Also, my focus is on integrating technology in my unit in a way that is going to enhance student learning. I don't want to integrate technology just for the sake of saying, "Okay, I integrated technology into my unit." I want to use technology in a way that is going to really engage my students and make their learning experience more interesting, meaningful, and fulfilling. Technology is one of the greatest tools that we have at our fingertips as teachers, we just have to know how to properly utilize it. The thing is, there are literally so many ways to do this. You just have to find the best way that fits.

That is where the SAMR and TPAK model have come in for me. The best type of technology integration takes place when the technology, content, and pedagogy all come together. When you have each component, the most effective instruction happens. Each component plays an important role and when they all combine, the magic happens. This is what the TPAK model put into perspective for me and this is a new way of looking at technology integration for me. This makes sense. Without the content being present, what good is the technology in the classroom doing? Students are not learning what they need to learn if the content is not involved. With this model, I can look at each piece and see why each piece is needed. The SAMR model opened my eyes to the different types of technology and made me see that I want to be the teacher that uses technology for modification or redefinition of my lessons. I want to do what wasn't possible before. With redefinition, I want to do what was not conceivable prior to the integration of technology. In my eyes, this can be a game changer. This can completely reshape and change your unit for the better.

I am looking forward to utilizing touchcast this week as well to summarize what I have learned from the TPAK and SAMR and learning even more by seeing what you all post. Each of you have a way of making me see what we are learning in a new perspective and I really enjoy that. I can feel myself growing as an instructor each week and I can see you all growing, which is REALLY amazing and exciting.

The NCTCS teaching standard that comes to mind for me this week while I am working, is "Teachers facilitate learning for their students." I am using technology this week as an outlet to better facilitate learning for my students and it is both challenging and exciting. I hope you all are gaining something from learning to integrate technology as well and I cannot wait to see how you all take advantage of this week's learning opportunities! Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Skylar,

    I just love your positive outlook on this class, and teaching in general. You're right when you say technology is such an awesome tool we can integrate into our classrooms, but we have to know how to use it properly--such a good point!

    I LOVE the questions you ask yourself about bringing technology into the classroom with the TPACK model, especially when you ask, "Without the content being present, what good is the technology in the classroom doing?"

    Going forward, I will definitely be asking myself this question, as I continue to plan my unit, and integrate technology with purpose. It is such a huge blessing to watch your growth, and grow along with you. Thank you for being such a light in this class!

    Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skylar,

    Thank you for making your internalization of SAMR and TPACK so clear in this week's blog! You are right technology with no content = student and teacher frustration! I am excited to see the direction you will take with fusing technology into your unit.

    Keep on making those intentional connections to the NCTCS!

    ReplyDelete