Thursday, October 22, 2015

This week, I have been solely focused on finishing my virtual museum. I have worried about it weeks but I finally am starting to feel okay about it. It is my fist virtual museum so I have driven myself crazy worrying over it and wondering if it is as good as it could be. That's nothing new though, I tend to worry about every assignment but it always turns out fine. The virtual museum really scared me at first but as I got into it, I realized that it is actually a fun assignment. I like being able to create my own museum out of my visit and I like how accessible this makes museums to students. I mean we are creating something that we could actually use in our classrooms one day, how cool is that? I have found that students actually LOVE museums when we go on field trips, even first graders. So, the idea of creating virtual museums is genius. Think of how many more museums we could show them when we take out the cost of actually visiting. I think it's great and I feel so accomplished already knowing that I can create a virtual museum.

It has also been really great connecting the museum to the NCSCOS. This will make the museum so much for more meaningful for the students and teachers. They can make connections and know that this isn't just some random museum. It means something and pertains to what they are learning and need to know. I have been on quite a few field trips since I have been working in an elementary school and I can honestly say that I have never seen the connections being made between the field trips and the NCSCOS. Maybe I missed the connections but I don't think they were made clear to the students. So, this virtual museum assignment has made me aware of how important it is that field trips be tied to the standards. That really brings things full circle for the students and helps them to have a deeper understanding of the content. So, this week I feel like I have really been developing in the professional teaching standard: Teachers Know the Content they Teach. Without this knowledge, I wouldn't be able to tie the content to my museum. So, I can see myself growing in content knowledge even as I finish developing my museum.

I hope you all have a great week and I cannot wait to see your finished museums!

4 comments:

  1. I also really enjoyed creating my virtual museum. I'm sure that we all have become experts in our museums that we have created. I'm sure that you did a great job! I also agree that we have not really connected the NCSCOS to field trips for a long time. I do not ever remember doing activities that had to do with the field trip before, after, or during. I Think that it is so important that we include these things when we decide on where to go to field trips. A question that we should be asking is "Is this field trip worth the amount of class time that is going to be missed and if not, is there a way to enhance it to do so?"
    Hope you are having a great weekend! Thank you for posting the link to my blog! I could not get it to work on my phone this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skylar, I cannot wait to see your Virtual Museum! I love that you pointed out how much students love going on field trips and visiting museums. We have such a cool opportunity to create our own; we might even be able to use these skills during student teaching, or in our future classrooms! I loved exploring the location I chose through the eyes of a teacher, as well as through the eyes of a child. I am so excited to see how you connected your museum with NCSCOS to make it more meaningful. Have a great Sunday, sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skylar,

    What a great post. I agree with everything that you are saying about the virtual museum. I love how you said "think about how many more museums we could show them when we take out the cost of actually visiting." That is so true. The reason we don't do an enormous amount of field trips is because they cost money and they take up time that we could be teaching other things. If we can connect the museum to the standards and make it virtual.....think of the endless possibilities! I can't wait to see you Tuesday!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skylar,
    I really appreciate your perspective here! You have captured the essence of the virtual museum! It is all about how to infuse the world into your classroom. I hope you have gained valuable insight about how to do this well!

    ReplyDelete