Hey, everyone! Another week down and we are SO CLOSE to finish line this semester and this both scares me and excites me. I am excited to have a break and about all that we have accomplished this semester but I am nervous about all of the upcoming assignments that are due. We can do it though, I believe in us. This week I completed my flipped lesson plan and my flipped component for the lesson plan. This was a vastly different way of planning for us all but I have to say that I like it. Think of how much more time we have for discussion and hands-on learning when the students have already watched/heard the lesson. Some are concerned that students will not have the technology to view the lesson beforehand and I can see why this would be a concern. However, I think you could always use the time in the mornings when students are settling in to have them view the lesson. I am also pretty positive that all schools are moving toward providing students with technology, or at least I hope so. I am glad to have had the opportunity to have planned a flipped lesson because this was a huge learning experience for me. It took me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to see another way to teach. I like having as many of these experiences as I can so that when I began teaching, I know the many options that I have and I can find what works for my students and I.
I also developed my peer rubric this week for my flipped lesson and that was helpful for me. I was able to think about what I need to work on before I present the lesson to you all. Developing the rubric has made me more self-aware of my weaknesses and brought to mind the standard "Teachers are always learning." I am learning every day and I am learning so much about myself as a teacher while going through these experiences and I hope you all are too. I also was able to incorporate the NCSCOS in the planning of my lesson. I knew that the lesson had to be based off of the standards that I had chosen for my unit so I explored those standards further. I am feeling more and more comfortable and more knowledgeable about the NCSCOS each week. When I first began this program, I was afraid because the NCSCOS seemed so overwhelming. But, now I know how to break it down and make sense of it.
Today, I also completed my teacher interview. What a relief! It went better than I ever expected and I know I had expressed my worry to you all so I just wanted to update you. I am so grateful for the opportunity to continue to grow and continue this journey! I cannot wait to meet with you all to present our lessons, see you then!
I love the idea of having the lesson replaying as students are settling in, in the morning. I think that is a good way for students to be refreshed on what they watched the night before!
ReplyDeleteOur flipped lessons went great today! I am so glad that we were all able to do it as a group and I learned quite a bit from all of you. I really enjoyed the book that we read for you Skylar and the activity of placing the pictures where they belonged on the freedom and not freedom chart!
My teaching interview went great also! I was so nervous about it the night before and I was up really late making sure that i knew everything 100%, even though I knew that I did.
Enjoy the rest of your fall break!
You did a great job sir! It was obvious you were fully prepared.
DeleteSkylar,
ReplyDeleteI believe in you and in this class as well. I am honored to have the opportunity to learn with you all.
This was a powerful section of your blog this week: "It took me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to see another way to teach. I like having as many of these experiences as I can so that when I began teaching, I know the many options that I have and I can find what works for my students and I. " THIS is what I want you to remember from this class! Things will ALWAYS change and we have to continually stay outside of your comfort zones to truly stay prepared to teach.
You did a great job at your interview. You knew your stuff! Most importantly, your passion for education was very obvious to us.
Keep on learning!
JP
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteI believe in you and in this class as well. I am honored to have the opportunity to learn with you all.
This was a powerful section of your blog this week: "It took me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to see another way to teach. I like having as many of these experiences as I can so that when I began teaching, I know the many options that I have and I can find what works for my students and I. " THIS is what I want you to remember from this class! Things will ALWAYS change and we have to continually stay outside of your comfort zones to truly stay prepared to teach.
You did a great job at your interview. You knew your stuff! Most importantly, your passion for education was very obvious to us.
Keep on learning!
JP
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteOnce again, your blog posts are always very encouraging. I am with you on the fact that we are almost done!
Until I read your post, I had either forgotten about the idea, or not thought of the idea of having students watch the flipped component at the beginning of the day in school. That was something that concerned me when thinking about if this would work logistically. In the class that I am observing in, the students have about 30-40minutes every morning to do morning work. That's plenty of time to complete the flipped video.
I'm so glad you got into the school of education! I knew you would do great! Have a good fall break (get lots of work done).
Sam