Week of Reflection: (list the date of the Friday for week just completed)-
Week 10- Friday, March 31st
Rate your overall experience of the week: 1-Very difficult | 5 – Great week
5-Great Week! This week felt like a whirlwind, it went really fast but it was full of good experience. I am finding myself feeling sad that this experience is almost over- I feel attached to this class and this school and it is going to be sad to leave. I also feel a certain sadness about slowly handing the class back over, I have loved teaching this class and enjoyed it more than I ever have anything in my life. However, I know it is ending for a good reason. So, I can have my own class and I am just thankful for the great experience I did have with this class and I will soak in these next couple of weeks. I know there is so much I can still learn by taking a step back and watching my CE take back over and in the observations I will have in different schools and grade levels.
Seven questions to end your week:
Observe: What pleasant surprises / accomplishments did I achieve this week?
A pleasant surprise for me was how well some of my students grasped concepts that I really thought would be hard for them. We began talking about Asia and learning all about the continent as well as reading a story that comes from Asia and comparing it to the continent of Europe which we have already covered. I was amazed to see what students remembered about Europe and how well they grasp all of the information. I think it is because it is really intriguing to them to learn about other places especially when I can I can tie the information to them. I am excited to see them collaborate again on a project about Asia and the story we are reading from Asia!
Reflect: What lessons did my work/experiences teach me that I will build upon next week?
This week, I took from my experience on what I know my students know and can do in order to really continue to take the content and make it relevant to them. We are honestly having a blast because they are so interested and excited about what they are learning. I built upon what I know interests them and what I know about my learners in order to really get on their level and make the content meaningful. I will continue this in the weeks to come and I know it can only get better.
Focus: How are my short-term efforts and my long-term goals still aligned?
My short term efforts of making sure I can experience all that I can and learn all that I can each day in this experience is still aligned with my long-term goal of having the most impactful student teaching experience all around that I can. This is going to help me so much as i begin my teaching career and I will keep this mindset as I know i will continue to learn everyday.
Be Productive: What could I have spent more or less time doing?
Now, I can spend a little less time worrying about my plans as my CE takes back over subject next week and more time making sure I have to best portfolio possible. I am really excited about it because it feels like a reflection of my journey which is making me feel really proud and nostalgic.
Have Courage: How did apprehension and indecision impact what I did and didn’t do?
This week, I did not allow apprehension to impact me. I trust myself as a teacher and I know that being apprehensive is a waste of my time which is really precious to me know.
Begin Anew: What is the first logical step(s) for next week? What mental clutter can I clear?
My first logical step for next week is to make sure I am well-planned and prepared to begin my last couple of weeks.
What were some data you analyzed this week and how did it help inform your instructional decisions?
This week, I analyzed writing benchmark questions based on a story we had read. The questions are designed to resemble the types of questions students will have to answer in order to move up to the next level in their mClass assessments. It was beneficial for me to see how well my students can answer these questions and help those that are struggling.
What is one piece of advice you can share with other student teachers?
I would advise other student teachers to make these last few weeks of the student teaching experience just as impactful as the first. Don’t be in a rush to be finished and take in every ounce of knowledge and experience you can, there is so much that can be learned still!
NC Teacher Candidate Standards: This week I feel I grew in the following areas of the NCTCS:
Standard 1c- Teachers lead the teaching profession- I go to meetings every week and collaborate with my colleagues in order to improve myself and for us to improve as a whole. This week, my colleagues and I looked at the Math standards for Kindergarten and collaborated with administration to determine how well they aligned to the math program we are currently utilizing. We looked for gaps and sent our instructional coaches an overview of the standards we feel we are struggling to cover using our math program. As a team, we decided ways we could make sure these standards are covered ourselves outside of the math program. I felt that my understanding of the NCSCOS, after having to unpack so many of the standards throughout my college career, was really helpful in the meeting and I walked away with so many ideas and a better understanding of how i could make sure there are no gaps in my classroom.
Standard 2c- Teachers treat students as individuals- I am becoming more and more understanding of exactly how to foster growth in each of my students and it is exciting for me to see differentiation becoming more and more second nature to me as I finally just feel like I know these students and what they need.
3d- Teachers make instruction relevant to students- This required me to really think this week as I tied the continent we were learning about to students. I started with this is what we do, now what do others do? They like finding the connections and they like finding the differences between them and other people in the world.
4d.- Teachers integrate and utilize technology in their instruction- This week, I worked hard to put the technology in students hands in a way that impacted their learning. They were able to read stories from around the world that I did not have copies of because I was able to make a QR code for them to scan the story and they loved taking their iPads and going to a different part of the world (in the room) to read the story.
5a- Teachers analyze student learning- I was able to take their benchmarks and pinpoint the skills that these students need to continue to develop to answer these questions so I can target those skills in my lessons. It is a good feeling to know what I do will directly affect their growth and it is worth taking them time to really look closely at exactly what they can and cannot do.
What components of your portfolio have you started to complete?
I finalized my PD log and found 3 more technology tools to utilize and capture videos of for my student teaching video this week. I am also going through all of the footage I have to find the parts that best emphasize me as a teacher and it is hard because I have recorded EVERYTHING it seems but it is a process that is worth it.
What support does your clinical educator need from your university supervisor?
My US has been great about answering my CE’s questions quickly and my CE and I feel completely comfortable with going to her when there is something we are questioning or concerned about.
What support do you need from your university supervisor?
Right now, I feel fully supported and I get very prompt and thorough feedback which helps me tremendously. I know this will continue so I have no worries at the moment!
You are definitely finishing strong....Keep On Going! I am so proud of you!
ReplyDeleteYou stated such an important reflection when you wrote, "I know there is so much I can still learn by taking a step back and watching my CE take back over and in the observations I will have in different schools and grade levels." Have fun!!
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way about having to hand the class back over. This week was a struggle for me, because I was so saddened for the end of my full-time teaching to come to an end. I cannot wait to be a real teacher, and I am sure that you cannot either! I am so proud of you!
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel, I have been having some bittersweet moments recently too. I know you are finishing up early to accept another job, but I am sure that class will love you just as much as this one does! I hope you have the best week ever this week!!!!!
Love ya lots,
Jess