Thursday, October 27, 2016

This week, I had a set goal in mind for what I wanted to get done at my clinical placement that was outside of the norm for me. Like Clarker, said we do not have much more time to spend in our placements before we are student teaching so I am trying to be very intentional about the time I am spending in my placement each week. I got to shadow a car duty which was good for me because I will be assigned car duty sometimes when I am student teaching. So, it is good for me to shadow some of these duties and see what goes on before I am doing it on my own.

I also got to attend a faculty meeting this week. It was a good experience to hear what's going on throughout the school right now and it helped me to understand some more of the dynamics of the school by seeing how everyone interacted. I am being really intentional at learning as much as I can about the school as a whole. I want to be someone that they feel can be part of the team and that they can hire because I fit. I have done the fundraisers, the open houses, and now I want to be involved in other areas. So, I am being intentional about going to all the meetings and doing the duties and spending the time outside of what is expected of me. I want them to know I am willing to do whatever to contribute to the students and the school as a whole.

In the classroom, I have become much more intentional about watching what my CE does to meet the needs of each individual student. How does she differentiate? How does she know their needs are being met? As I was working on edTPA task 1, I was learning that I am not the strongest when it comes to differentiation. I have to really think about how I am going to differentiate and then I go back and forth with myself about whether or not what I am doing is best for each student. It shouldn't be that way and I do not want it to be that way when I am student teaching. I need to know and be intentional about learning about what each student needs in each area of content. This is important because I want to be the best teacher I can be and give them the best experience individually. So, as I am watching and learning the individual needs of each child. I have been talking about IEP's and 504's and needs outside of those too. I am intentional about asking her what she does to meet those needs and she is so good about telling exactly what they need and exactly what to do to meet those needs. For example, while we were talking about my lesson plans, she told me "You are going to want to see ________ close to you, he needs that or you'll need to modify this for _____, this is what I would to modify it to meet their needs." It has been so helpful for me to learn about this and I will continue to so that I can make each learning experience the best it can be for each student individually.

https://www.edutopia.org/discussion/18-teacher-tested-strategies-differentiated-instruction

These are some great tips of "teacher-tested strategies" for differentiation, if you have time to look at them! Background information is key and getting to know your students better while they are in your room. Also, I like the idea of using multiple approaches to instruction. That way, you can cover a variety of learners! This is a big part of treating students as individuals. I am thankful for my CE who does such as good job at meeting that standard and is helping me work to become more proficient at it!

3 comments:

  1. Skylar, great blog!! I am stoked that you are getting to do more and more in your school and yes...it is very important! I am finding more and more that there are so many intricacies involved with being an educator. A LOT that we don't learn in College. It is almost as if we are training for two different jobs! Learning how to instruct (pedagogy) and learning about duties and dealings that teachers have to face. I am thankful honestly that I have had a lot of workplace experience to help me with the colleague element and being a parent helps me with the parental element. Both are challenges in themselves, but then throw in the MOST important element, the students. It can be quite daunting to say the least. I love the fact that your are considering the best ways to differentiate as well. This has been kind of a struggle in a way for me. Keep up the great work and the drive that you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling more and more a home and comfortable, that is for sure! You are so right, there is SO MUCH more to being a teacher than actually teaching! Learning the ropes and everything that goes with it is good for us to do now and become accustomed to the routine! It can be very daunting but I just just take it day by day and remember why I am doing it! I am pretty sure it a struggle for every teacher but you do what you can and you keep the best interest of the students at heart! You are going to be a phenomenal teacher, Ben! I am grateful to have the opportunity to work with you and learn with/from you this semester! Don't sweat this kind of stuff, we will be accustomed to it with time! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to see that you are already taking steps to make your instruction individualized for each of your students. Being proactive here will be a huge help for you in the future!!!

    ReplyDelete