Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Wow, it seems like it has been awhile since I have blogged but I am excited to get back to it! The semester has began with a bang and there is SO MUCH to be done but that just means that there is so much to learn! I am excited to complete my last semester of course work and then finally be able to student teach. It is what I have waited, hoped for, and prayed for so long and it seems unreal that it is finally here! I feel excited, nervous, overwhelmed, and elated all at the same time. I think all of those emotions only come into play at once when you are about accomplish something great though, right? Mostly, I just feel really blessed to have the opportunity to do something that I love so much and feel called to do. I don't know that everyone gets that opportunity and we are all really lucky to be here, in my opinion!

This week I spent some time at my school that I will be student teaching in as well as getting back to work at the school that I am employed in. I am excited for the students to start next week and am anxious to meet them all! I have already been introduced to so many new people at the school where I will be student teaching and they have been so sweet and helpful! I am already finding that this school is very different from the school where I am employed. Both are great schools, but just different atmospheres and different types of people. I am taking it all in and using it as a learning opportunity. I am finding that each school seems to have it's own "vibe" and each classroom does too. As educators, it is important to be flexible and open to adjusting to the changes. We never know where we will be placed and I am learning you just have to learn to go with the flow. The good thing about it is most educators are very open to helping you, you just have to ask! Kindergarten is so new to me and I am already learning every time I speak or meet with my lead teacher. She asked me if I was interested in being on the committees she is on with her and I was so glad she offered. I will be attending the meetings with her and this will be a great learning experience for me. She also asked me to help her with her assignment at the fair they have for a week at their school to raise money! I am glad she is already seeing me as someone who can help her and wants to be involved in the school. This will allow me to make some solid connections at this school!  I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of the students next week especially my Kindergartners! For many of them, this will be their first experience in school and so it matters the impression I make on them and their parents. This will shape many of their future learning experiences and I do not take this responsibility lightly. It reminds me of a quote I stumbled across over this summer-







Image result for teaching is the hardest job everyday because it matters

I found it be very true! We are shaping minds and hearts and it matters everyday! It makes it harder but it makes it more rewarding!

This week, I will also be working with the NCSCOS for Kindergarten for the first time as I write my SS lesson based on the standard assigned to me.  This is really my first time planning a lesson for Kindergarten so I am interested to see where this takes me and how I can grow from it. I will keep you all updated on how it goes!

I am looking forward to hearing about all of your experiences this week! I hope everyone has a productive and blessed week! 




4 comments:

  1. Skylar,

    I love that you said that the "emotions [of excitement, nerves, overwhelm, and elation all at the same time] only come into play at once when you are about accomplish something great!" Good luck this semester with Kindergarten and writing your first kindergarten lessons! I am looking forward to hearing how it goes :)

    -Leslea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skylar,

    I am so glad to be back in class with you this Fall, and Student Teach together in the Spring! I love that you wrote about each school having its own "vibe," and encouraged us to be "flexible and open to adjusting to the changes." My CE/class this semester are very different from my CE/class last semester, and I needed that reminder to be open and go with the flow of my new school and classroom! I love you, friend! I am so excited to be a "Student" when you teach your first Kindergarten lesson plan next week. You are already doing an awesome job! Love you, friend!

    -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Skylar! It seems you too have started off the year on a good note. It is always more comforting when you feel part of a team. I am glad your CE is already including you in your endeavor. I too am nervous and anxious as to what all happens, but positivity and confidence goes a long way even when we doubt ourselves. It is a blessing to be doing something we are passionate about. I know you will do well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skylar,

    That is a great quote that Dr. Parker and I need to share in our 250 classes. It is so true! I'm really glad your CE has already invited you to sit on committees with her. There is so much more to teaching that we can't teach you, but it's already starting to sink in with you all. I'm so excited for the growth you all will experience this semester. You have alluded to many connections to the NCTCS in this post. Are there any direct connections you can make?

    ReplyDelete