We are almost finished with week 4 which means we are 25% done with this semester. That is so crazy considering it feels like no time has passed since I was writing my first blog. It has been a whirlwind but I feel as if I have gained so much already. This semester, I feel like I have gotten to know all of you on a more personal level and that makes me feel good because I feel more connected to you all.
This week, I am thinking more about my generalizations for my unit as well as my guiding questions. Once I get my generalizations where I want them, my guiding questions should flow naturally to led the students to the generalizations. I feel like the guiding questions almost serve as clues to the generalizations that we don't want to tell students but rather have them figure out on their own as we go through the unit. So, I am excited to see what Dr. Parker thinks about what I come up with for my guiding questions.
This week I also signed up for the General Curriculum Exam and the mathematics subtest that goes along with it (*shakes in boots*). I am SO nervous to take these tests. It makes my stomach clench just typing this. I have major test anxiety and I think it stems from the one time I failed a spelling test in 3rd grade and had to be sent home because I was basically inconsolable. My brother has made fun of me my whole life for that, but I'm over it now (partially). So, the thought of this test makes me shudder. Thankfully, I got the first praxis over with this summer and I'll be honest, I really wanted to turn my car around when I got to the testing site and go home. I was so scared but I did it and I passed. Since I am trying to be totally honest on my blog, I am not even going to pretend that I didn't stay up basically all night the night before reading "Praxis for Dummies" which is available on Amazon for 12.95 and I am sure I partially owe my perfect reading score to that. So, the next step is the General Curriculum Exam and I am going to overcome my fear of testing and go in there feeling confident. I am here to tell you that if I can do it, all of you can. You might want to sign up as soon as possible though because the dates are filling up!
This week, I also decided that I am for sure doing my virtual museum on The Bostic Lincoln Center. This is a site dedicated to collecting and displaying evidence that Abraham Lincoln was actually born in Rutherford County which is the county that I live in. I have heard of this theory before but never really believed it but after exploring their website, they almost have me convinced. So, I am actually really excited to visit and share my findings with you guys.
I am looking forward to seeing your posts and I hope you all have a great week!
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteYour posts always make me smile! Thanks for being so honest about your thoughts, things you are excited about, as well as things you are struggling with or are nervous about. Your get-it-done attitude about your generalizations and guiding questions encourages me so much! When I am nervous about a project, I tend to avoid it a little bit, but you rush right to it, and I love that. I am starting on those things this week, too.
Let me encourage you about the General Curriculum Exam and Math tests! Math is my worst subject, and it has been seen Elementary school. I took Praxis Math core (after studying like crazy like you did), and passed. However, when it came time for the General Curriculum test, I felt much less prepared. I was planning mine and my husband's wedding at the time, working two jobs, and trying to find an apartment. To review, I studied the review guide available on the testing website (here is a link to the Math one: http://www.mtel.nesinc.com/PDFs/MA_FLD003_SubtestII_PRACTICE_TEST.pdf), and watched some of the orientation videos to learn how to navigate the test, since it is on the computer. What I wish I had done is taken the full-length practice test (available here: https://www.nc.nesinc.com/PageView.aspx?f=HTML_FRAG/GENRB_PrepPractice.html), but by God's grace, I passed!
Practical tips: hydrate beforehand since they do not allow drinks or snacks in the testing center. Try to get some rest since it is longer than your average test, and wear comfy clothes that also make you feel cute and confident! You can do this! I will be praying for you. Let me know when you find out your test date.
I also cannot wait to hear about this amazing Abraham Lincoln legend adventure! Have a great weekend.
Thank you for sharing great tips for the NCEL!
DeleteSkylar,
ReplyDeleteI, like Meredith, always love reading your blog posts. I feel as though you are always completely honest with how you're feeling and what your going through and that can be an extremely good quality to have. If you can be open with how stressed or confident or even how nervous you are then that will help greatly with communication with others in the future.
The General Curriculum Test and Mathematics Subtest are less stressful than you might think. I remember stressing about the test for weeks before I finally took it thinking that I wasn't going to pass one section or another. It really is very simple and you will do great on it I know! I would say to go and look on the testing site for the practice exam. If you can take that exam, you will get a good feel of what the actual exam will be like and you will realize that it's easier than you might think. You will do great!!!
I look forward to seeing more on your virtual museum and other blog posts in the future!
Samantha Grubb
Well, the one thing that may offer you comfort is that you will have a great deal of empathy for your students that seem to freeze during tests. Bless you, what on earth created such anxiety? Is it something you can identify? I hate to press you on such a sensitive subject but I hope to be prepared if I encounter students that get so upset. Looking back, was there anything a teacher could have said to relieve some of your anxiety?
ReplyDeleteGreat points here, Melissa!
DeleteSkylar,
ReplyDeleteI like the way you framed guiding questions...they really are clues that should help students arrive at the generalizations. I am sure your encouragement regarding testing means a lot to the others. How will you be able to be a great support to your future students during testing?