Thursday, August 20, 2015
The first week of classes has been a whirlwind. I have taken in so much information that I feel like my head may explode but in a good way. At first, I was overwhelmed but now I feel excited. Just in this first week, I have learned so much about social studies instruction even though I feel there is MUCH more to be learned. I feel like after this week I have a good understanding of why social studies instruction is so important. This understanding will be essential to me as I learn to teach social studies in a way that is meaningful and powerful. I am already connecting what I know now to what I have seen in the classrooms I have been in and this has been eye-opening for me. Now that I know how essential social studies is, I realize that there is not enough social studies instruction in any of the classrooms that I have been in. I do not believe that there is enough focus on social studies because people do not consider it to be a tested subject especially in elementary school. However, social studies actually integrates into all other subjects and could help to raise test scores with a comprehensive understanding. I am anxious to interview my two teachers that I chose because I want to see the emphasis that they place on social studies and their feelings on the instruction that takes place today. This first week has already shaped and impacted my outlook so much and I feel like I will be a much better educator because of that. I am excited to read more articles and continue to learn the social studies standards inside and out. I am anxious to start lesson planning because I know how important it is that my lessons interest and engage the students. Now, I realize that I am responsible for teaching students how to be critical thinking, decision-making, contributing member of society. That seems like an overwhelming thought but now I have a better understanding of what the overall goal of social studies instruction is. I am excited to learn more and to continue to blog and reflect on what I am learning and experiencing. This week was a mixture of extreme nerves and excitement. We'll see what next week holds!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am also excited and nervous to talk to the teachers about my interview. Hopefully they will respond to my email and I will be able to interview them. I believe that nerves come with what we are doing. Like Dr. Parker told us, it's only going to get harder as we get closer to that student teaching semester and we are only 2 away! We are going to be really involved this year and the spring of next. I can only assume that we will gain so many skills this semester with the amount of time that we will be in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteHere's to a great semester!
Skylar, I love that you were able to look at what we've learned this week and see exactly how it is being taught in a real classroom. What I wouldn't give for that opportunity. It sounds as though you have a lot of insight as to what actually goes on in an elementary school (which not many of us have). I look forward to reading more of your blogs to see how you view social studies in the classroom. I also would love to hear stories about how social studies has been taught in the classes you've been in. It seems as though you have a passion for teaching students with the best methods possible. I look forward to the rest of the semester with you.
ReplyDelete-Samantha Grubb
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteThank you for an honest blog post. This sentence, "I am already connecting what I know now to what I have seen in the classrooms I have been in and this has been eye-opening for me" was huge for me as I was reading your blog entry. You have captured the core of what I want to happen with blogging this semester. Keep on making those connections!
I am excited to interview my teachers as well, especially about the social studies decline and get their informed opinion. It's easy for me to keep social studies in the front of my mind since we are taking this class this semester but I will make sure to ask their advice on ways to continually make deliberate plans to include social studies when time is squeezing me and lesson plans are already over packed with information and requirements to meet standards and I'm trying to cram one more subject and assessment into my week. Thank you for an exciting post.
ReplyDelete